Frequently Asked Questions

What are the GPA and GRE test scores that you are looking for in a competitive applicant?

Students are admitted into the program with a minimum overall undergraduate cumulative and program-specific prerequisite GPA of 3.00. The average overall undergraduate cumulative GPA for accepted students is 3.59 and the average program-specific prerequisite GPA is 3.62.

Please see Class Profiles for mean GRE scores.

Do you take into consideration steady improvement of the undergraduate GPA or GPA based on courses taken as a post-baccalaureate student to fulfill missing prerequisites?

The admissions committee realizes that some prospective students start their undergraduate education with an average performance but improve their grade point average as they advance into their major area of study. This may not deter acceptance as the admissions committee takes into account academic maturity with an increasing grade point average as the applicant progresses from freshman through senior year.

Post-baccalaureate applicants are often judged on their academic performance with receipt of a master's degree or returning to school to complete missing prerequisite courses. Enhanced performance is not based on taking one or two courses per semester but maintaining a full semester course load.

Should I repeat courses in the science prerequisites to achieve higher grades?

Prospective students who repeat courses will have the initial grade for the course and the repeat grade averaged to obtain a final course grade. To enhance the science grade point average it is recommended that applicants continue to take additional courses, preferably in the upper divisional biological sciences, which is evaluated favorably by the admissions committee.

What types of courses fulfill the prerequisites of social/behavioral sciences?

These courses cover a broad range of subjects that most institutions require as partial fulfillment of the baccalaureate degree. Courses may include, but are not limited to: anthropology, communication, ethics, humanities, literature, community health, criminal justice, cultural geography, ethnic studies, human sexuality, marriage/family, personal health, social science, social work, sociology, women’s studies, motor control, and motor learning.

I am a foreign student and have earned a bachelor's degree in physical therapy. Can I apply to the program?

Our DPT program is an entry-level PT degree, for individuals who are seeking their first PT degree. If you have a bachelor’s degree in PT, you have a PT degree. If you would like to earn a doctoral degree in PT you may look for a transitional-DPT program.

Licensure is required to practice as a PT or work as a PTA in the United States. Licensure is managed by individual state regulatory boards. Internationally-educated candidates for licensure, whether United States citizens or not, are required to have their educational credentials reviewed as part of the licensure process, unless they attended a physical therapy program outside the U.S. that was accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. This review must be conducted by a credentialing agency approved by the jurisdiction in which the applicant intends to practice as a PT. For more information go to:

Is a criminal background check required?

A criminal background check is NOT REQUIRED for acceptance.

In compliance with the drug testing policy established by Columbia University Irving Medical Center, program students are required to undergo drug screening prior to beginning their first clinical education experience. This policy is intended to offer a proactive approach by providing early identification and intervention before the consequences of substance abuse adversely impact a student’s health, care of patients, or employability. The policy emphasizes the importance of student confidentiality and employs intervention and treatment rather than formal disciplinary action, sanctioning, or documentation upon a student’s academic record. Students are tested in the spring or summer of Year I prior to the start of First Clinical Education Experience in the fall of Year II.

What types of housing are available?

Specific information on types of housing available and costs can be found on the CUIMC Office of Housing Services website.