Aphakia and Soemmering's Ring Formation
- Absence of the crystalline lens
- Very deep anterior chamber
- Hyperopia in normal length eye
- Soemmering's ring formation as a result of anterior capsule edges attachment to the posterior capsule in the absence of intraocular lens implantation or if lens was not removed in an intracapsular fashion
- In the case above, aphakia resulted from extracapsular congenital cataract extraction without intraocular lens implantation.
- Cataract extraction surgery without artificial lens implantation.
- Congenital aphakia.
- Associated with systemic syndrome i.e. Lowe syndrome or Hallermann-Streiff-François syndrome.
- Consider artificial lens implantation or contact lens.
- Aphakic glasses as an option in bilateral aphakias.