Salary and Benefits
Harlem Hospital Center
The residency programs at Harlem Hospital Center offer highly competitive benefits and salary.
Salary According to PGY Level
- PGY 1 - $66,247
- PGY 2 - $68,988
- PGY 3 - $74,469
- PGY 4 - $77,049
- PGY 5 - $79,307
- PGY 6 - $ 81,403
- Residents can select their health coverage from the same insurance company list offered to NYC employees. There are options for individual and family coverage from most of the major health insurance companies.
- One month of vacation is allocated.
- Residents at Harlem Hospital also receive additional benefits through the Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR), which is the largest housestaff union in the country representing over 13000 residents.
- CIR provides a comprehensive package of healthcare related benefits that are available to all residents in additional to healthcare insurance that is provided through the hospital. Benefits from CIR include:
- Dental, optical, obstetric and childbirth benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- COBRA and prescription benefits
- Mental health benefits for psychotherapy for residents
Detailed information is available at http://cirseiu.org/cir-member-hospitals/harlem/
The professional education plan reimburses residents for educational expenses up to $650 per year. Qualified expenses include
- Medical Books, tapes and DVDs
- Medical journal subscriptions
- Work related equipment (PDAs, ophthalmoscopes)
- Language Software (Rosetta Stone)
- Medical license fees
- Examination fees
- Dues for medical specialty societies
- Subscriptions for medical specialty journals
- Medical license application fees
- Medical license examination fees
- Specialty board examination fees
Additional benefits for attending national/international conferences are limited to $1,500 during the course of residency training. For residents who are invited to present their research at national conferences, there is additional departmental support available through the GME Committee.
The Columbia University Library system is one of the largest academic libraries in United States. All residents have access to the libraries with the Columbia ID and online account.
Residents have access to legal services through CIR. Details of this and other benefits are also available at the CIR website.