Emergency Backup Freezers
CUIMC has obtained upright, shelved -80°C freezers that are available for the research community to use during a freezer failure while their freezer is being repaired or replaced. Full details regarding the emergency freezer program, remote freezer monitoring, and freezer exchange programs are available on the VP&S Research Intranet.
In the event of a freezer failure:
- Contact CU Facilities Compliance to request access to a backup freezer at 212-305-8100 via Public Safety. Provide the name, UNI, and contact number of the lab manager responsible and the location of the failed freezer.
- Follow-up with an email (24/7) to email@example.com as soon as possible
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions
- Only one contingency freezer may be used at one time per lab with the understanding that a freezer may be shared with another lab.
- Hazardous materials (e.g. radioactive samples) may not be stored in any contingency freezer.
- A freezer may be used for one month while the lab’s failed freezer is repaired or replaced. After one month, the department will be charged for use.
- The lab staff is responsible for packing, labeling, and transporting materials to the freezer.
- If you have any difficulty with access, please notify the VP&S Office for Research by emailing email@example.com.