Student Honor Code
On beginning medical training, each of us has committed ourselves to a lifetime of collaborative service and to the highest standards of moral conduct, as representatives of the medical profession and of Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- I will demonstrate honesty and integrity in all aspects of my education.
- I commit myself to understanding and embracing professionalism and ethical behavior and practice.
- I will act respectfully and ethically in my interactions with patients, staff, faculty, residents, and peers.
- I will not cheat, plagiarize, use unauthorized materials, misrepresent my work, falsify data, or assist others in the commission of these acts.
- I acknowledge that patients’ stories are their own. I will support their autonomy and will ensure my published writings or use of social media uphold and do not infringe upon the privacy and dignity of all patients, including those not directly in my care.
- I recognize that my classmates’ learning and development is as important as my own. I will offer support, provide constructive feedback, and promote a positive learning environment and will not purposefully mislead, undercut, or embarrass my peers.
- I will act with humility and recognition of my own limitations and fallibility and will ask for help when needed. Similarly, I will support my peers when they need it.
- I acknowledge that while in public I represent the medical profession and Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, and thus I should avoid any behavior that would reflect poorly on the profession and this institution. I will demonstrate honesty and integrity in all aspects of my education.
By acting with humility, integrity, fairness, and respect for others, each individual fosters a community built on trust that promotes a supportive learning environment. I recognize that behavior that deviates from these principles may cause harm to myself, to others, and to the learning and clinical environment, and may ultimately compromise patient care and safety. As such, I understand it is my personal responsibility to model these principles and actively address unprofessional behaviors that I witness. If I do not feel comfortable providing feedback directly, I will seek support in doing so. I commit to participating in a restorative process to mitigate whatever harm may come from my actions.
On my honor as a lifelong member of Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons community, I commit myself to the VP&S Student Honor Code.