Presumed Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome (POHS)
- Presumed fungal infection disease which is more prevalent in certain parts of the USA such as Ohio, Mississippi and Nebraska.
- Also seen in Holland where fungal spores are not present in the soil.
- Mostly asymptomatic
- Various degree of visual impairment associated with macular involvement
- No vitritis
- Atrophic choroidal scars that evolve into discrete, focal, punched-out choroidal lesions
- Peripheral streaks
- Peripapillary atrophy
- Choroidal neovascularization which may occur in the macular region and complicated with macular hemorrhagic detachment and fibrovascular membrane formation
- Treatment should be considered in cases with significant visual disturbances.