Why Choose Us
The radiation oncology team at Columbia University Irving Medical Center has a dynamic partnership with the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center to bring patients the highest quality, most compassionate and personalized care. These exceptional physician-scientists are advancing the field with groundbreaking research on the benefits of radiation treatment for cancer with approaches that regard the unique genetics of a patient's tumor and spare as much nearby tissue as possible.
Your multidisciplinary care team creates a comprehensive care plan tailored to your unique disease and genetic profile. From the very first screening through recovery, our goal is to provide you with the safest and most effective therapy, delivered quickly to cure your cancer and maximize your quality of life.
Our Approach to Care
At Columbia University Irving Medical Center, our radiation oncology centers are experienced in providing radiation therapy for children, adolescents, and adults.
Our radiation oncologists work closely with internationally recognized researchers and clinicians to bring together the best approaches for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of many types of cancer. Learn more about the conditions we treat.
Experts in surgery, hematology, medical oncology, neuro-oncology, urological oncology, radiation therapy, pathology, nursing, social work and psychology strive to meet the needs of each patient to create a personalized treatment plan. We collaborate on multidisciplinary tumor boards for every disease site, enabling us to pool our expertise and customize your care to your personal needs.
Radiotherapy is often combined with other cancer treatments. We offer a full range of treatment options for various forms of cancer, including:
- Radiation therapy - Our radiation oncologists have advanced training in adult and pediatric cancer care.
- Chemotherapy - Often combined with radiation therapy, chemotherapy uses powerful drugs to destroy cancer cells. It can be administered by an IV drip or in pill form.
- Surgery - Our goal is to use minimally invasive surgery for faster recovery times and to preserve your quality of life.
- Stem cell and bone marrow transplantation - For adults, teens, and children with cancerous blood disorders such as leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, sick cell anemia, and more.
- Targeted medical therapy - Aims directly at cancer cell proteins, interfering with their ability to grow, divide, and spread.
- Immunotherapy - Utilizing specialized medicines, immunotherapy can empower your own immune system to fight and destroy cancer cells.
- Focused ultrasound - Columbia has clinical trials that use focused ultrasound to open up the natural barrier in the brain to let the chemotherapy better penetrate and work with the radiation to improve outcomes for adult and pediatric brain cancers.
Our Cutting-Edge Radiation Oncology Treatment and Technology
We are continually committed to incorporating the latest evidence-based radiation treatment technologies into your care. Many of our doctors are international leaders on the advancement of these technologies to improve your treatment outcomes. Learn more about our innovative treatments and technologies.
Whole Person Care during Radiation Therapy Treatment
Our clinical care team's goal at Columbia University Irving Medical Center is to treat the whole individual, not just the cancer. We'll create a treatment plan specific to your unique disease and genetic profile. In addition to our radiation oncologists, multidisciplinary care, and tumor boards, our compassionate nurses, patient navigators, and staff are here to support your mind, body, and spirit.
Radiation therapy can last for weeks. Your cancer care team will work to make the experience as comfortable as possible. If necessary, we can connect you with other experts - dietitians, physical therapists, and speech pathologists to help manage radiation oncology side effects. For children, Child Life specialists are also available.
Comprehensive Patient Support Services
Our patient support services go beyond radiation treatments. During your recovery and remission, we offer psychological counseling, support groups, pain management tips, and medical advice on healthy habits, exercise, and nutrition.
We offer the Connect Patient Portal for easy access to test results, appointments, and follow-up care.
Convenient Radiation Treatment Closer to Home
In addition to NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center location in Manhattan, our doctors also treat patients at other locations including NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester and NewYork-Presbyterian Hudson Valley. We have an integrated system for reviewing each case as one team to offer world-class radiation care locations closer to home.