The Columbia VP&S Human Rights Initiative (HRI) and the Asylum Clinic (CHRIA) would not exist without the support of our generous donors and the commitment of so many wonderful volunteers. There are several ways to support our work.
HRI uses 100 percent of donor funds to support Asylum Clinic activities, physician and student training, and human rights-focused student events at Columbia. All board members, clinicians, and students are volunteers and do not receive payment.
We thank you for your tax-deductible donation, which can be made via the following steps:
- Visit the Giving to Columbia website
- In the field “Search Columbia funds” look for “VP&S Club Fund“
- Select a gift amount and gift type (one-time or recurring)
- Enter your contact information
- Under “Special Instructions” make a note that you would like your donation to go to the “Human Rights Initiative/Asylum Clinic”
- Enter your payment information and complete the process
More Ways to Give
Additional ways to support our work include participating in events, helping with fundraising efforts, and taking action.
- Participate in our events: Each semester, HRI hosts several human rights events at the Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Past events have included:
- Discussion with retired Brigadier General Stephen Xenakis, MD, on his anti-torture work and experience with detainees in Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp
- Screening of the documentary “Fire in the Blood,” which tells the story of the international movement to gain access to life-saving HIV/AIDS medication
- Dinner and seminar with Professor Suerie Moon from the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, whose work focuses on global governance for health and access to medicine
- Support Fundraising Efforts: The Human Rights Initiative hosts fundraisers a few times each semester to support the Asylum Clinic. To keep informed of our sales, like us on Facebook.
- Fundraise for CHRIA: Run, swim, bike, dance, or grow a mustache for HRI! We appreciate any assistance with or ideas for clinic fundraising. We welcome you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with ideas or questions.
- Take action: The Columbia VP&S Human Rights Initiative encourages all persons interested in the rights of physicians and those seeking asylum to take action through our parent organization, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR). Join PHR in advocating for persecuted health workers, for stopping torture, for investigating mass atrocities, and for bringing justice to ill-treated populations.