The Martha A. Hooven Awards for Excellence
Celebrating Employees' Commitment to Excellence
The Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons proudly presents the annual Martha A. Hooven Awards for Excellence to exceptional employees, or groups of employees, for their outstanding performance and contributions. Initiated in 2008, this award is intended to inspire all of us to strive for the very highest level of excellence by recognizing some of our truly exceptional people.
In 2019 the award was renamed the Martha A. Hooven Awards for Excellence, in recognition of Hooven’s contributions as Vice Dean of Administration at VP&S since 2007, when she joined Columbia from UCSF.
2021 Awards Information
Below you can watch the 2021 virtual award ceremony and find a list of the awardees. Read more about the awardees via the CUIMC Newsroom story, "Six VP&S Employees Receive Martha A. Hooven Awards for Excellence".
Vincent C. Santana Officer of Administration/Managerial Award
Margaret Lin Zhu
- Department Administrator, Center for Radiological Research
Officer of Administration/Administrative Professional Award
- Administrative Assistant, Department of Anesthesiology
Officer of Research Award
Dajiang “Kevin” Sun
- Senior Staff Associate III, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Molecular Pathology Shared Resource
SSA Union Member/Clerical Technical Award
Melvin Acevedo Jr.
- Laboratory Technologist, Department of Pathology & Cell Biology
Jean-Marie Alves-Bradford, MD
- Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Community Service Award
Urmi Anand Desai, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine (in the Center for Family and Community Medicine) at CUMC
Each year, the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons recognizes outstanding performance with the Awards for Excellence. Honoring individual and group achievements, the dean presents each awardee with a plaque and a $750 gift card. We will recognize one person or group in each of the following categories:
- Officer of administration
- Vincent C. Santana Officer of Administration/Managerial Award
- Professional / Administrative
- Staff officer of research
- SSA Union Member
- Clerical/ Technical
- Community Service
- A member of the faculty, staff, or a VP&S-based group that provides exceptional community service
- A member of the faculty, staff, or a group within VP&S that promotes diversity
Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons is a superb place to work because so many of us put forth our best efforts every day. The level of excellence by our employees makes this one of the finest medical schools in the country.
To nominate someone for one of the Martha A. Hooven Awards for Excellence, please fill out our nomination form:
For more information, please reach out to the following contact in Human Resources: