Winter 2023 E-News About and for Alumni
The Winter 2023 e-newsletter has news about Columbia's medical school, its students, and its alumni throughout the United States.
Second-year medical students in the Class of 2025 celebrated their transition from classroom-based instruction to clinical education with the Steven Z. Miller Student Clinician’s Ceremony on Jan. 6. Read more.
VP&S and CUIMC News
- The day after Columbia University’s Board of Trustees introduced the next president of the university, Nemat “Minouche” Shafik, the new president visited VP&S and Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Read more.
- Jean-Marie Alves-Bradford, MD, the inaugural associate dean for medical school professionalism in the learning environment, answered questions about the unique stresses of medical school and how new efforts will help students adapt and succeed. Read more.
- Names of members of the CUIMC community who died in 2022 were included in a year-end list in the CUIMC Newsroom. Read more.
- Read about how the Columbia-Bassett Program addresses the issue of health care access in rural areas.
Read more news in the CUIMC Newsroom.
Of Historic Interest
- Read about the role John Gorman and Columbia played in treating Rh disease.
- The blog of the medical center’s Archives & Special Collections features a description of a little-known 1856 memorial tablet to 14 Columbia medical students who died while serving in New York City’s public hospitals.
A Selection of Class Notes
- John Bilezikian’69 will be a plenary speaker at this summer’s International Medical Congress in Armenia. Read more.
- Karen Antman’74 is interviewed as part of a video series that features women leaders. View the video here.
- Mindy Fullilove’74 has been chosen for the Mary Flexner Lectureship at Bryn Mawr in Fall 2023. Read more.
- Mary Bassett’79 resigned from her position as New York state health commissioner Jan. 1 to return to the faculty of the Harvard Chan School of Public Health. Read more.
- Paul Burns’89 has been named director of heart failure surgery at Valley Hospital in New Jersey. Read more.
- Read about the career of Robynne Chutkan’91.
- Cullinan Oncology named David P. Ryan’92 to the company’s board. Read more.
- Stavros Lomvardas’03 PhD became chair of the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics at VP&S Jan. 1, 2023. Read more.
- Amy Weiss’03 wrote an opinion piece for the Tampa Bay Times about comprehensive sexual health education. Read more.
- Megan L. Ranney’04 will become dean of the Yale School of Public Health on July 1. Read more about her appointment and read a Yale University profile of her.
- Patrick A. Kenney’05 has been appointed medical director for the cancer service line at Greenwich Hospital and regional physician leader for oncology services for Lower Fairfield and Westchester counties at Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven. Read more.
- Hudson Mind in New York City has added Marcel Green’08 to its growing practice. Read more.
- Read a New York Times essay by Daniela Lamas’08 about longevity science. She was keynote speaker for the 13th annual Steven Miller Day, a celebration of the late Steve Miller’84’s legacy in humanism and medicine. Read more.
- Pending county commission approval, Abdul El-Sayed’14 will become director of the Wayne County (Michigan) Health, Human & Veterans Services Department in March. Read more.
- Ugochi Nwosu’15 was featured in the Vows section of the New York Times. Read more.
Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: External links are current at the time of this communication. The Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons is not responsible for the content of external websites.