Spring 2022 E-News About and For Alumni
The Spring 2022 e-newsletter has news about Columbia's medical center, its medical school, and alumni throughout the United States.
- Match Day 2022 was held in person this year for the first time since the pandemic started. Read more.
- VP&S students presented research to faculty and fellow students at the 2022 Student Research Day. Read more.
- The Class of 2024 received white coats in person during a special ceremony celebrating their transition from classroom instruction to patient-based training. Read more about this year’s Steven Z. Miller Student Clinician’s Ceremony.
VP&S and CUIMC News
- VP&S is No. 3 among medical schools, its highest ranking ever in the U.S. News & World Report ranking of research-oriented medical schools. Read more.
- Katrina Armstrong, MD, became Dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons on March 1. She also is Chief Executive Officer for Columbia University Irving Medical Center. To learn more, watch the video of her welcome assembly, listen to an audio interview about her journey as a doctor and leader, and listen to a conversation between Dr. Armstrong and Anne Taylor, MD, vice dean for academic affairs.
- President Biden has signed the Dr. Lorna Breen Health Care Provider Protection Act, named for a Columbia emergency medicine physician, into law. Read more.
- In celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center looks back at the women at Columbia who helped to pioneer cancer research and medicine. Read more.
- At the two-year anniversary of the pandemic, the CUIMC community reflected on what was learned. Read more.
Read more news in the CUIMC Newsroom.
Of Historic Interest
Watch a video about the origin of the Whipple procedure and Whipple disease.
A Selection of Class Notes
- Amos Abbott, an 1869 graduate, founded Abbott Hospital, the first private surgical center in Minneapolis. The Minneapolis newspaper wrote about Dr. Abbott and a history book that Robert Scott’61 wrote about the merged Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Read more.
- Read about the work of Steven Pollack’79.
- Read an article by Michael Egnor’84 about intelligent design of the brain.
- Mignon Loh’91 has joined Seattle Children’s Hospital to lead cancer care and research. Read more.
- The American College of Physicians has named Cynthia (Daisy) Smith’93 as chief membership and engagement officer. Read more.
- Read about David Mason’94, a thoracic surgeon in Texas.
- Ogal Gurel’96 was named one of Medika Life’s Most Influential Voices in Healthcare for 2022. Read more.
- Kevin Yao’97 is chief of neurosurgery at Englewood Health. Read more.
- Read about the sports medicine career of Ross Henshaw’98.
- Hackensack Meridian Hackensack University Medical Center named Shahid R. Aziz’99 division director of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Read more.
- Venu Pillarisetty’99 has joined the scientific advisory board of TriSalus Life Sciences. Read more.
- Megan Ranney’04 was chosen for the Distinguished Speaker Series at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Read more.
- Read a New York Times guest essay by Daniela Lamas’08, “The Cruel Lesson of a Single Medical Mistake.”
- Listen to an ABC Radio interview with Carl Erik Fisher’09, author of a book about addiction.
- The University of Michigan has named Lindsey Mortenson’09 its first chief mental health officer. Read more.
- Sunil Amin’10 was featured in a Miami newspaper story about how husband-and-wife physicians coped during the pandemic. Read more.
- The Idaho Academy of Family Physicians selected Rebecca Katzman’11 as the 2022 Idaho Family Physician of the Year. Read more.
- Hasina Outtz Reed’11 PhD/’12 MD received a 2022 Young Physician-Scientist Award from the American Society for Clinical Investigation. Read more.
- Grange Coffin’47
- Elizabeth Crandell’50
- Lila Wallis’51
- Mehran Goulian’54
- Robert Montroy’56
- Marvin Henry Marx’58
- Fred Huntley Allen Jr.’59
- Horacio Fabrega Jr.’60
- Peter Kronfeld’60
- Charles Rucker’60
- Earl Fogelberg’62
- John Robinson’62
- Albert Assali’63
- Myron Lewis’63
- Paul Berk’64
- William Hamilton’64
- Alan Seplowitz’72
- Lewis C. Evans’74
- Andrea Schaffner’78
Send your news to email@example.com
Note: External links are current at the time of this communication. The Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons is not responsible for the content of external websites.