Larry L. Schulman, M.D., is a Professor of Medicine at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, and Attending Physician at The New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He is also Medical Director of Quality Assurance at The New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Professional expertise includes general lung disease, cough, shortness of breath, asthma, breathing difficulties, COPD, bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, bronchiectasis, sarcoidosis, and occupational lung disease.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Allergy and Asthma Management
- Alpha-1-Antitrypsin Deficiency
- Asbestos Respiratory Problems
- Breathing Problem
- Chronic Cough
- Chronic Lung Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
- General Pulmonology
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- LAM Lung Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Disease
- Lung Nodules
- Occupational Lung Disease
- Pulmonary Diagnostics
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Shortness of Breath
- Sleep Apnea
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Chair, Quality Assurance, Department of Medicine
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Virtual Visits allow you to connect with your provider from the comfort, convenience, and safety of your own home.
- Aetna Signature Administrators
- Medicare Managed Care
- NYP Employee Plan
- NY Signature
- Student Health
- Great West (National)
Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Oxford Health Plans
Quality Health Management
- Quality Health Management
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- State University of New York - Downstate Health Sciences Center
- Cornell University
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Mount Sinai Hospital
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
Honors & Awards
- Winthrop-Breon, American College of Chest Physicians, Young Scholar Award
- Parker B. Francis, Research Fellowship of the Puritan-Bennett Foundation
- William H. Dock Master Teacher Award
- Garfein ES, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Deleterious effects of telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single and bilateral lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:5-11.
- Schulman LL, Htun T, Staniloae C, McGregor C, Austin JHM. Pulmonary nodules and masses after lung and heart-lung transplantation. J Thorac Imaging 2000,15: 173-179.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg, AD,. McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Smith CR. Influence of lung injury on early postoperative survival after lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:20-25.
- Garfein ES, Ginsberg M, Gorenstein L, McGregor CC, Schulman LL. Superiority of end-to-end telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single lung transplantation for pulmonary emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2001 121: 149-154.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg AD, McGregor C, Suciu-Foca N,ltescu S. Influence of donor and recipient HLA locus mismatching on development of obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:437442.
- Imai K, Dalal SS, Chen ES, Downey R, Schulman LL, Ginsburg M, D'Armiento J. Human collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase-I) expression in the lungs of patients with emphysema. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:786-791.
- Schulman LL. Anandarangam T, Leibowitz OW, DiTullio, MR, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Homma S. Four-year prospective study of pulmonary venous thrombosis after lung transplantation. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2001,14:806-812.
- Talbot SM, Taub RN, Keohan ML, Edwards N, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Combined heart and lung transplantation for unresectable primary cardiac sarcomas. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2002, 124: 1145-1148.
- Irnai K, Mercer BA, Schulman LL, Sonett JR. D'Armiento JM. Correlation of lung surface area to apoptosis and proliferation in human emphysema. Eur Respir J. 2005, 25(2):250-258.
- Maurer MS, Raina A, Hesdorffer C, Bijou R. Colombo P, Deng M. Drusin R, Haythe J. Horn E. Lee SH. Marboe C. Naka Y, Schulman L. Scully B, Shapiro P, Prager K, Radhakrishnan J, Restaino S. Mancini D. Transplantation using extended-donor criteria organs for systemic amyloidosis complicated by heart failure. Transplantation 2007. 15;83(5):539-4.